2016 – What a time to be alive!
Whilst the world absorbs the recent results of the disputed 2016 US elections announced yesterday, the team at Royal Zambezi Lodge have been basking in the glow of receiving some very prestigious awards in recognition of our achievements in 2016.
Firstly, we are so proud to have received the award for “BEST LODGE IN ZAMBIA” presented to us at the Zambian Hospitality Awards recently. To be awarded such an illustrious title is only made more prominent by the fact that we have been honoured with this title by our very own country!
Read more HERE
LEOPARD SIGHTINGS are a regular occurance here at Royal, which is an incredible statement to make as they are notoriously the most elusive and secretive of the large felids.
Royal guests and staff were surprised and priviledged to see a leopard kill in camp just this week and one walk right through camp at 10am! Unbelievable!
Fast Facts about this powerful big cat:
- Leopards are astoundingly strong. They are pound for pound the strongest of the big cats.
- They are able to climb trees, even when carrying heavy prey, and often choose to rest on tree branches during the day.
- Leopards are renowned for their agility. They run up to 58km/h and can leap 6m horizontally and 3m vertically.
- They are also very strong swimmers.
- Leopards are predominantly solitary animals that have large territories.
- They mark their ranges with urine and leave claw marks on trees to warn others to stay away.
- They have various vocalisations such as a rasping cough which they perform to announce their presence to other leopards.
- Leopards tend to have two or three cubs per gestation.
- Cubs stay with their mother for about 2 years.
- Cubs suckle for around 3 months and are kept hidden for about the first 8 weeks to protect them from predators.
* Images taken by guests staying at Royal Zambezi Lodge
We are one of Africa Geographic’s Special Places
Africa Geographic have been inspiring, educating and resourcing people for the past 20 years to celebrate and do good for Africa. We are proud to now be one of their Special Places.
Benny our resident monkey
Meet Benny the newest member of the Royal family. Benny is a Vervet monkey we recently rescued as he was weak and hungry when his mother died. He did a lot of sleeping, eating and playing until he got back to full health. He then started responding to a troop of monkeys calling from outside so we decided it was time to release him to join them in the wild. We have seen him recently and he is doing really well.
Sponsors of Zambian Art and Design Show
On 24th November Royal Zambezi Lodge and Royal Air Charters sponsored the Zambian Art and Design Show at the Lusaka polo ground. It was a great show with over 40 exhibitors, the biggest of its kind in Zambia. It brought together artists and artisans from all over Zambia.
Winner at World Luxury Hotels Awards 2013
Great news – Royal Zambezi Lodge has won at the World Luxury Hotels Awards. These awards are accepted as the pinnacle of achievement for Luxury Hotels worldwide. This Award was established as a celebration of ultimate achievement in hoteliering.
Our Bush Spa is Award winning
We are proud to announce that we won the World Luxury Spa Awards 2013 for the best Luxury Spa. These awards give recognition and thanks to the luxury spa industry. Setting benchmarks in quality, innovation and service for spas around the globe.
Proud to support Pack For A Purpose
At the lodge we believe it is important to support our local community – we have therefore decided to become part of Pack For a Purpose – read more here
Throttle the Bottle
Royal Zambezi Lodge are proud to support throttle the bottle, the aim being to reduce use of plastic bottles at the lodge to help keep Africa’s wilderness areas pristine and the wildlife safer
Royal Zambezi Lodge Wins The Best Luxury Lodge Award
12 June 2009
Royal Zambezi Lodge won The Best Luxury Lodge award in the 2009 World Luxury Hotel Awards. The World Luxury Hotel Awards are accepted as the pinnacle of achievement for Luxury Hotels worldwide. This Award was established as a celebration of ultimate achievement in hoteliering.
Royal Zambezi Lodge nominated for two Good Safari Guide awards
Royal Zambezi Lodge nominated for two Good Safari Guide awards. The Good Safari Guide is the travel professional’s independent and definitive selection of the most professionally run, independently selected and vetted safari properties.